Thursday, July 24, 2014

Sometimes our worst idea and our best idea turn out to be the same idea. That is how I feel about the giant canoe. Like all bad and good ideas, at first it only seemed like a good one. Why not have the Trailhead students build a giant canoe? Who wouldn't want to do that?

Trailhead students, as it turned out.  This was a bit frustrating, but not their fault.

So a couple of them helped, and Jesse Schutt and I carried most of the load. I think the students learned things about wood skills and tools. I definitely learned some things about leadership, and the assumptions I make that can get me in trouble.

After almost a year of work and reflection, the canoe finally made it to the lake today. So far, so good. It was still floating on top of the water last time I checked.

Hoping to come up with more good ideas than bad ones next year. Thanks to everyone who helped with the boat!


No comments:

Post a Comment